New Hampshire is announcing the launch of 988, the new three-digit dialing code that will route callers to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (NSPL). People can call 988 to be connected with trained counselors that are part of the existing NSPL network.
• 988 is a national system. The 988 call center routes calls by area code, which means that someone calling from an area code outside of New Hampshire will reach a call center in the area code’s corresponding state.
• For a response from a New Hampshire provider, regardless of your area code, call or text NH Rapid Response at 833-710-6477.
New Hampshire’s current crisis response landscape will remain in place. For a local response every time, contact NH Rapid Response at 1-833-710-6477.
• New Hampshire Rapid Response continues to provide mental health crisis services via phone, text and chat for children, youth and adults who may be experiencing a mental health or co-occurring substance misuse crisis. Rapid Response is available 24/7 365 days/year.
• In addition to the Rapid Response crisis line, mobile crisis teams staffed by New Hampshire’s ten Community Mental Health Centers across the state are ready to meet people where they are if they have more intensive needs. As of May, 2022, mobile crisis teams have been deployed 2,840 times.
• For a response from a New Hampshire provider, call or text NH Rapid Response at 833-710-6477.
Consider 988 an addition to other 3-digit responses such as 911 and 211
• 988 is one more option for people experiencing a mental health crisis, and does not replace New Hampshire’s Rapid Response.
• Law enforcement is typically the first responder activated by a 911 call, which may not always be appropriate for mental health situations. 911 will remain in place for deployment of police, fire and EMS services.
• 211 will remain a non-emergency number to connect with community resources and The Doorway, New Hampshire’s substance misuse access point.
For additional information on 988 please review the documents below: